Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine and Winter Craft Idea

Well, Valentine's Day may be over, but winter sure isn't!  And why not continue the Valentine's crafts?!  We all need a little extra love to get us through the winter!  Thanks to my coworker's idea, we decided to make some crafts by mixing glue with shaving cream.  This allows the shapes you make with shaving cream to stiffen and hold.  


For the snowmen, I had my students use stencils to draw 3 circles.  Then they used spoons to fill in the circles by spreading our shaving cream concoction!  We used some dried beans as eyes, nose, mouth, and buttons!  Then, the students drew on arms and a hat!

 My kids finished these crazy quick and we only had about 10 minutes left in the day, so I decided to have them make some hearts as well.  We drew a heart and used our glue/shaving cream mixture to fill it in....except this time, we added food coloring (it is kind of hard to tell in the picture) and glitter to our creations as well.  Of course I would have every color of food coloring EXCEPT red....but the kids didn't seem to mind!  The kids loved this!  Even the kids who don't like to get messy didn't mind since they could use a spoon to fill in the shapes.  And if a little of the mixture got on anyone's hands, it was easy to wipe right off (I LOVE how easy shaving cream is to clean-up!).  


3 comments:

  1. I love it!!! How did yours hold up? When I went back after the weekend the snowmen my kiddos had made "flattened".

    Caitlin
    Learning Ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine definitely flattened a bit, but still had a little poof to them :-) Maybe we need to add more glue?

      Delete
  2. I do this all the time with my students!!

    ReplyDelete