Sunday, February 10, 2013

Money Matching and Counting

I totally forgot about this money activity until this past week!  I made it a long time ago for a student who had a money matching IEP goal (and was very motivated by food!).  I was trying to pair the concept of using money to buy food.  I found all the pictures (of money and foods) on google images.  Then I laminated the cards and put them on a binder ring.  I used real money for matching (which I put velcro on).  By the way, I have definitely found some money with velcro in my purse before and almost used it to pay at the store (whoops!)

This week, I realized I could use this activity for a variety of leveled learners!!  For my lowest students, we worked on matching.  The next level up worked on labeling coins by name or value (or both!) as they matched them to the cards.  The most advanced group worked on counting the combinations of coins to come up to the total written on the top.  It worked out great using the same activity for all my groups instead of trying to find something different for each one!!






6 comments:

  1. I am just starting to teach one of my kids how to count coins. He can count by one denomination (all nickles, etc) but I'm trying to figure out how to teach him that a nickel and a penny is $.06, not 2, as in counting the number of coins instead of the value. Any hints for teaching this? I think part of the problem is that he is used to doing addition with manipulatives, and in that process you count all of them. Any ideas would be appreciated - this is the first time I've had a student at this level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! But definitely a harder concept to teach! I usually have kids start with labeling the values of the coins we are adding together. Then, (for example with nickels and pennies) I have them count by 5s until all the nickels are gone and then start counting by ones. It is good to have them practice on other worksheets as well starting at 5 or 10 and counting up by ones (i.e. 5 ___ ____ ____). I am currently struggling with the same thing for teaching how to add quarters and dimes together. My kids only understand "counting by 10s" as "10 20 30 40" not "25 35 45 55." So, I think giving them more examples of this in other types of math work can help with money. I put the money combinations on flash cards (using real coins or pictures of coins) for daily practice as well! Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. Hi Hailey,
    did you make the activity cards you used to create these tasks? If so, any chance you can put them up on TPT? I'd love to purchase premade, but will start putting together my own if you don't have the time/energy/ability!
    Thanks,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I will definitely try and post them soon!!

      Delete
  3. I also would love to be able to purchase these money cards! Great activity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are now available on TPT...I should probably update this post...haha. You can find them here.

      http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Money-Match-Matching-Coins-and-Values

      Delete