Thursday, February 28, 2013

Typing Station

I actually haven't used this station yet this year, but finding all the pieces when I was cleaning my classroom this week made me excited to start it back up!

I have one computer that is pretty  much out of commission...no internet, no working disc drive, so what better to use it for than TYPING!!  There is no way for students to get distracted by cartoonnetwork.com and I can't use any of my education games on CDs, so typing it is!

I created these typing activities based on our spelling lists.



Step 1 at the station, is to review the flashcards of the spelling words for the week.

Step 2 is typing.  The typing worksheet gets clipped to this free-standing board.  The typing worksheet has the spelling words underlined to remind students of what words we are working on.  I also included the word "enter" at the end of each sentence to remind students to return down one line.  At the end of the sheet, it says "print."  This is actually step 3.  I forgot to take a picture of the printer, but it has a label that says "3.  Print"


Step 4 is putting their paper in the finished bin.  There is a reminder on the bin to write name and date on the paper.  I think when I start this up again, I may add typing their name/date to the top of the typing worksheet instead of hand writing it on their paper.





4 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I don't know about you, but every year I have one computer that is equally useless as the one you described. I love the typing center idea!! That may be a new addition to my class so it can give me some one-on-one time with specific students who need intervention time. Awesome!

    Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect use for it! Very creative and I am sure the kids LOVE it! :)

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the visual organization of this system! Very cool--off to share it on FB.

    Chris
    Autism Classroom News

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing on Facebook! I just spent a lot of time on your blog as well...so many great posts!!

      Delete