Friday, October 19, 2012

Doing My Civic Duty and Trying to Keep My Students Calm!


Have you ever had a student who cries, whines, or throws a fit every time you leave the room?   A couple years ago, I had a student who did all of the above!  Every year, I also always seem to have a few students who become anxious when I leave the classroom and constantly want to know where I am going, what I am doing, and when I will be back.  Although this is fabulous practice for asking questions(!), it can also get a bit tiresome and distracting for those left in the classroom when I am gone (my poor assistants!).  

I created this little social story and posted it on the door (facing into the classroom) when I had the student who got very upset whenever I left.  This ended up helping my whole classroom of students to reduce their anxiety and be reassured that I would be coming back.  By the end of last year, all I had to say was "I have a meeting," and none of them would bat an eyelash.  


Now, I have a whole new bunch of students who become anxious when I leave the classroom.  I have been out on Jury Duty all week (don't lawyers and the courts realize how much my students need me!), and have been thinking about how much I needed to find this visual for my students.  This will be posted as soon as I get back to work! Some of the issues that have happened while I was out on Jury Duty:

-A student refused to get out of bed and his mom had to drag him to school.
-A student cried and told me I couldn't leave because I am his best friend.
-One of my students hit another in the face.
-One student said to the second substitute "Please don't try and teach me solitaire" (which the first sub had tried to do).

These issues definitely make me feel loved and missed, but most of all, I just CAN'T WAIT to get back to my classroom!



3 comments:

  1. What?! Teachers should not have to do Jury Duty - that stinks!

    I love the story you created. It's very visual and to the point.

    I once heard of a teacher who created a video that she could show her students when she was going to be out for the day - like, "hi students, I'm not here today, you will have a new teacher today!, etc.

    New follower of yours!

    Brie @ Breezy Special Ed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I would have done anything to get out of Jury Duty! Thankfully it is over and we are back into our routine again! I LOVE the idea of the video! I just may need to try that!

      Delete
  2. You’ve been Boo'd!! Check out my post for the rules:)

    I don’t have a freebie to share with you because I don’t have any products at the moment.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete