Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Science Unit Preview: Food Groups

This month's science unit is all about Food Groups!  At least having Monday and Tuesday off due to extreme cold weather was good for something productive.  Otherwise there was just a lot of sitting around in PJs and catching up on trashy TV.

This month's unit focuses on the following 9 vocabulary words centering around food groups (dairy, protein, fruit, vegetable, grains, sweets, eat, drink, and healthy). It's available on TPT here.

This packet includes:
-Materials to create a vocabulary velcro-matching activity
-Flashcards
-3 Levels of Assessments
-21 different worksheets
-1 Game (food group bingo).  2 versions based on level of difficulty.
-1 Adapted book (with matching pieces and comprehension worksheet)
-13 Journal pages (includes to levels of difficulty)
-Parent note home about the unit
-1 Cover sheet for kids to color and use as a cover for all their completed work.

This unit has materials for learners at different levels.   Also, it includes a variety of worksheets which allow my students to work on their science IEP goals as well as a variety of other goals (language arts, math, speech, and OT).  I use this unit over the course of an entire month.  The kids repeat some of the work, but the repetition seems to help them learn the concepts as well as work on becoming more independent.


OK…now onto the good stuff…some photos of this month's unit!  Here is the vocab sheet that we use as a velcro matching activity.

Here are 3 levels of assessments going from easiest (receptive/expressive picture vocabulary) to hardest (answering questions about the topic).



All my science units have worksheets that address a similar skill for students at a variety of levels.  These writing worksheets also go from easiest (tracing line) to hardest (writing the words).

Here are some of my favorite worksheets from this month's unit.  
Follow directions to circle the pictures on the left/right.
 

ndependent graphing worksheet and a survey graphing activity to get kids interacting with one another.

I love these cut/paste activities for labeling and sorting.



This Bingo game and adapted book are perfect for the days you feel like taking a break from worksheets!



These journal pages are a new addition to my science units.  They come in 2 different levels.  One for tracing and one to work on writing about topics independently.

 

For more info on my other science units and more details on what is included, check out these posts!
A post describing my topics for the year as well as how I organize my materials.
- A preview of my Dinosaur Unit
A preview of my Landforms Unit.
A preview of my Insect Unit.
A preview of my Plants Unit.
A preview of my Body Parts Unit.
- A preview of my  Solar System Unit.

Check back tomorrow for a Freebie to go along with this unit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment