Monday, December 30, 2013

Science Unit Preview: Solar System

I was a real slacker and didn't post a science unit for December (sorry!!).  In my class, we did animals and animal habitats.  I will definitely post this unit at some point…but just didn't get to it this month.  But, on the bright side, I am posting January's unit a little earlier than normal!  This month's unit is on the Solar System (recently posted on TPT).  This month's unit revolves around 9 vocabulary words related to the Solar System (moon, sun, earth, telescope, planets, stars, telescope, space shuttle, and astronaut).

The packet includes:

-3 Levels of assessments
-Materials to create a vocabulary velcro-matching activitiy
-Flashcards
-18 Different worksheets
-2 Games (Solar System Bingo and Memory). Multiple versions based on level of difficulty. 
-1 Adapted book (with matching pieces and comprehension sheet).
-1 Note home about the unit.
-1 Cover sheet for kids to color and use as a cover for all their completed work (wither to send home or for in the classroom).

This unit has materials for learners at different levels.   Also, it includes a variety of worksheets which allow my students to work on their science IEP goals as well as a variety of other goals (language arts, math, speech, and OT).  I use this unit over the course of an entire month.  The kids repeat some of the work, but the repetition seems to help them learn the concepts as well as work on becoming more independent.


OK…now onto the good stuff…some photos of this month's unit!  Here is the vocab sheet that we use as a velcro matching activity.

Here is the highest level assessment, followed by the expressive/receptive vocab assessment (which come with and without the pictures).



Here are my favorite cut/paste activities.


I also really like these following directions worksheets that come in 2 different levels.  The beginner level just has students work on identifying color words.

The harder level has kids work on topics such as color words, shapes, size, and direction (left/right, top/bottom).

I always love the "social time" graphing activity, because it gets kids up and moving and interacting with their peers!

Also, this month's unit comes with an adapted book.  These are great for kids to work on independently after they finish their worksheets or to read together as a small group. 

I have included pictures that can be matched to each page as well as a simple vocabulary matching sheet that can be used with (or without) the book.
 

For more info on my other science units and more details on what is included, check out these posts!
A post describing my topics for the year as well as how I organize my materials.
- A preview of my Dinosaur Unit
A preview of my Landforms Unit.
A preview of my Insect Unit.
A preview of my Plants Unit.
A preview of my Body Parts Unit.

2 comments:

  1. I love your science units! I have begun modeling my own in this style- it works so well! I am currently working on and using a Germs and Hygiene unit. I love that I can use the units I bought from you to get ideas on how to present the information and new vocabulary in a way that my kids can easily understand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so glad my units have helped you…and your hygiene and germs unit sounds great!

      Delete