Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Product Preview: Landforms Science Unit

If you read yesterday's post, you saw my new favorite iPad app that allows my students to complete worksheets right on the iPad.  I am hoping to use this with my students A LOT next year.  In yesterday's post, I showed you how the app worked with some of the science worksheets from my Landforms unit.  Today, I just wanted to give you a preview of the worksheets/activities included in that product.  This unit is a little different from the rest of my science units as I was able to add games, a science experiment, flashcards, and an additional assessment version!  Just even more fun to keep your kids excited and engaged about science for an entire month!  This unit is available at my Teachers Pay Teachers Store along with other science units on body parts, and plants.


Here are the vocabulary words covered in this unit on landforms.
*Waterfall     *River    *Volcano    *Forest    *Lake    *Mountain    *Hill    *Desert    *Map

This unit comes with: 
*3 assessments
*Flashcards
*Materials for vocabulary matching sheets
*Science Experiment (visual directions for building a volcano) and comprehension sheet.
*2 Games (Landform Bingo and Landform Memory).  Each game includes multiple versions for different ability levels.
*16 Worksheets covering a variety of levels and address skills such as writing, matching, direction following, counting, graphing, measurement, color identification, word search, cut/glue activity.

This unit has materials for learners at a variety of levels and the variety of worksheets allow my students to work on their science IEP goals as well as a variety of other goals (language arts, math, speech, and occupational therapy).  I use this unit over the course of an entire month.  The kids do repeat some of the work, but the repetition is good for them to help learn the concepts as well as work on becoming more independent.


Assessments:
All versions of assessments are used twice.  We do a pre-test at the beginning of the month and a post test at the end of the month.  These first 2 assessments can be used to test receptive/expressive vocabulary using either pictures or words.



This assessment can be used as the concept "test."  I also like using this test to work on appropriate test-taking behavior (no cheating, reading and answering on their own, as well as not becoming upset when they get questions wrong).

Flashcards and Vocabulary Matching:
Flashcards are included to help review vocabulary terms.
Also, two matching sheets are included.  Just laminate the matching sheet (or put it in a top-loading sheet) and add a little velcro to the pieces.  Depending on your students' levels, they can work on different matching skills.

With this version, kids can work on matching pictures-to-pictures or words-to-words (pieces are provided for both). 




With this version, kids can practice matching words-to-pictures.


Science Experiment:
This month's unit also has a science experiment for making a volcano.  It includes visual directions for how to make it as well as a comprehension sheet for after the experiment has been completed.


Games:
I have included LANDFORM BINGO with 2 versions.  

Kids can play by matching pictures or by using the definitions of the land form terms.
 

I have also included LANDFORM MEMORY with 3 versions:
Kids can play by finding matching pictures,


matching words,


or matching picture to words.


Worksheets:
The 16 Worksheets for this unit cover a variety of skills.  Here are some pictures of a few.









I loved re-vamping this unit for my kids for next year.  A few sheets use Boardmaker symbols, however the rest of the fabulous landform clip art is from Teacher Laura!  Sorry for such a long post 2 days in a row!

1 comment:

  1. Hailey- this looks AMAZING! Each unit is getting better and better. I hope you continue to create these at a fast pace :) I want to use one unit each month like you mentioned! SUPER excited. I have my body parts unit ready to go :)

    The Adventures of Room 83

    ReplyDelete