Friday, January 4, 2013

A Book to Use for Movement!

Last week, I shared with you how I work on drama with Kids with Autism.  When I first started out, if I were to say, "act like a frog," none of my kids would have known what to do.  My kids had very few imagination skills.   I decided to teach them, through a very visual book, how to "act like" a variety of animals.  This seemed to work because after doing this book every week in drama time or in the classroom, my kids were able to not only "act like" all the animals in the book, but they were also able to generalize these skills and "act like" animals that were not in the book!

So...hot off the presses, I introduce to you the newest member of my TPT store! I know it has been awhile since I posted anything new to my store, so here you go!  Click here to get your copy.

Here are some pictures of the pages.  Basically every page says, "How do ____s move?"  Then there are pictures of the animal and visual of a kid acting out the animal movement.  This is great for kids with autism because it is so visual and many kids will be able to imitate the visual in the picture.


The book ends with pictures of kids acting out all the different actions.  I use this book at drama time.  As I read each page, I had one kid take a turn to act out the animal.  Once we got that down, I would read a page and have everyone act out the animal on that page at the same time.  It can get a little crazy when you have 11 "cheetahs" running around (the kids love it!)....but the only way to get to the next page is for everyone to be sitting nice and quiet!

No comments:

Post a Comment