Thursday, April 24, 2014

Tackling Grammar: NOUNS and VERBS

I am beyond thrilled that my kids are starting to work on identifying nouns and verbs!  We have been trying to get to this for awhile, but other things kept coming up.



We started by using this visual from Amy Anastas on TPT.  Then, we brainstormed our own list of people, places, things, and animals.

We also completed some of Amy's worksheets which had the kids sort pictures of people, places, things, and animals.  We also did this worksheet where the kids highlighted the nouns they found in each sentence.

My kids seemed to catch onto this idea pretty quickly.  It was much harder when I decided to add VERBS into the mix!  After brainstorming verbs (the kid's favorite verb is "burping") and highlighting them in sentences, we moved into trying to distinguish between a noun and verb.  And we were kind of stuck there for quite a few days!  Half of my kids get it completely, and the other half are still very confused.  I hate when this happens, because I want to move on for the kids who get it, but don't want to leave the others behind in the dust.  We will dedicate a couple more days to this and hope everyone gets it!

We did this "Pot of Gold" noun and verb sorting activity (which I can no longer find on TPT :-(.  Then we took the words and I had the kids make their own sentences.

Then we labeled them together on the board and the kids drew pictures to accompany their sentences.  

Stay tuned for more of our grammar adventures throughout the rest of the year!

1 comment:

  1. I have found that tackling grammar in my room this year has been really hard! My students are starting to finally get that nouns are people, places, and things but boy did it take a while! Thanks for sharing what you've done in your room. It gives me some ideas of things to try!

    www.teachloveautism.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete