Friday, October 4, 2013

WH Questions: Who and Where

In my guided reading group, we have been focusing on answering "WH" Questions.  I thought we would fly through a brief review of the different questions types, but it is proving to be a bit more challenging!  I found this great "WH" visual from Lisa Geary (FREE ON TPT)  which I used to introduce the topic to my group.

At first, I tried asking a variety of WH questions with our visual out in front of us.  When asking these questions, I referred to some picture cards of people engaging in different activities (as seen below).  This went pretty well.  But then, I took the visual away and I realized my kids were having a hard time discriminating between question types.


So, I decided to back up a bit and just focus on "Who" questions.  My kids got this pretty quick, so then we started working on "Where."  Once they got this down, I started mixing up the 2 question types.  We did a variety of activities to work on "Who" and "Where" questions that I am excited to share with you.

We played the "Who" and "Where" card games from Sasha Hallagan.  

We also completed these great worksheets from Letha Anderson .


We did some read-alouds, and worked on answering "who" and "where" questions every couple pages.  We also used our visual to answer "when" and "what" questions about the story.  Here is a link to this "WH" worksheet FREEBIE!


We brainstormed "who" and "where" answers on the board.  Then, we took some of our answers and mixed and matched to create a silly sentence and draw corresponding pictures.
 

We did "who" and "where" timings in a notebook.  Students had 2 minute to come up with as many "who" or "where" answers.


Also, since it is the beginning of the year, we did a lesson on the different types of drills we do during the school year (tornado, fire, and lockdown).  We discussed "where" we need to go for each drill and "who" comes to the school.  We then filled out this cute graphic organizer  (I cannot remember where I found this or who the creator is! If you know, please let me know so I can give them credit!!  Thanks!!).

Last, but not least, we took a "Who" and "Where" quiz.  I created 2 versions of this for my group.  The kids did so well...I was super proud!

Next up, we will be moving onto some "What" questions in isolation...then mixing them in with our "who" and "where" questions!  I'm looking forward to some of the activities I have planned for these!  I will definitely share them with you once we have tried them out!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! My students also struggle with wh questions and I have been struggling with how to teach them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hailey, this is great! Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to get the who/what/where/when/why worksheet with the boardmaker pictures? The visual you are using to answer questions about a story? Let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love the worksheet as well!! That would be great for my kids!

    ReplyDelete