Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Classroom Set-Up: Behavior Management and Visuals

It's that time of year...back to school shopping, classroom set-up, and prepping for the new school year ahead.  Are you a new teacher looking for some materials to set up your brand new classroom? Or a veteran teacher looking to revamp classroom visuals or up your data game?  I want to take a chance over the next couple weeks to share some tips and ideas for setting up your classroom this coming year.

I recently put together a product based on all the resources I created and implemented in my classroom so that others can use the ideas that worked so well for me, without the work of having to create it on their own....  over 150 pages of class-room set up materials included in the Complete Autism Classroom Set-Up!  I have used this baby in my district with tons of teachers already this past year...and it has been a big hit.  Today, let's talk about one aspect of this product,  Behavior Management and Visuals:

VISUALS RULES:
10 common classroom rules with visuals that can be posted in the classroom.

Do you use fidgets in your classroom or the gen ed classroom? These fidget rules are great for teaching students how to use fidgets appropriately.

TOKEN ECONOMY:
Want to decrease inappropriate behavior in your classroom?  Use a token economy to reward students' for all the behaviors you want to see.  I have included a token economy visual for students with rules and rewards listed (this is editable), tokens to use, and pouches for students to store their "tokens".
Here is a blog post all about how I used this Token Economy in my classroom.


INDEPENDENT WORK VISUALS:
Do you have an independent work station in your classroom?  I always post visual directions for my students on the logistics of the station.

I also use "I am working for" or "first-then" boards for independent work where students get to select from a choice board what they want to work for, and then earn stars as they complete work.  I also like to keep a list of students' preferred items for staff listed in this area.
Here is a blog post full of tips/ideas on how to set up an Independent Work Station.


 

COMPUTER VISUALS:
Please tell me I'm not alone in having students that struggle with taking turns on technology? We used this visual in our technology area to help increase students communication skills and independence with communicating to each other without adult assistance.  Also, since we know technology often decides to malfunction, the "I need help" visual came in handy a lot!
Here's a blog post about how this computer visual can be utilized and increase communication skills.


PLAYGROUND VISUAL:
This was created for a couple students that really struggled with changes in routine.  These kiddos loved recess and struggled when we couldn't go outside (due to weather, field trips, etc.).  This visual turned out not only to be a life saver for them, but the rest of my class as well.  You answer the question "do we have playground today" by selecting "yes" "no" or "maybe" and then a reason for why/why not (i.e. raining, field trip, too hot, etc.)
Check out this blog post to see more info on this resource being utilized in my classroom.

CLASSROOM SUPPLY LABELS and GENERAL VISUALS:
Help keep your students and your classroom organized by labeling where all of your supplies go.  I would label the container as well as the spot on the shelf where the container belonged (a little OCD? Maybe? But it helped all of us stay organized and find our materials without wasting time).
This blog post goes over the importance of classroom organization as well as a bunch of tips/ideas.

LINE ORDER VISUAL:
Seriously, what is the big deal with being first in line?  But this is a HUGE deal to so many of our kiddos.  This visual helped my kids see that they would get a turn to be first eventually and eliminated the daily bickering and shoving matches.
Here's a blog post all about how I set this up in my classroom.

READING LEVEL VISUAL:
Help your students identify the correct books to read by posting this visual in the leveled library or independent reading area (this would be great in a gen ed or special ed classroom).
Here is a blog post about how this resource was utilized in my "quiet reading"/"independent reading" station.

LOCKDOWN/FIRE DRILL SOCIAL STORIES:
These were great to keep posted in the classroom and review frequently to help with unanticipated changes in our schedule.
Here is a blog post about how I utilize these social stories in my classroom.


All of my products have instructions for set up and you can always feel free to email me if you have any questions on how to utilize any of the materials.  I am happy to collaborate with you to help you meet the needs of your students.

These resources are available as a bundle (that means every resource included in these 4 products available at a discounted rate) or as 4 separate products (Visual SchedulesNotes HomeBehavior Management and Classroom Visuals, and Data Sheets) so you can buy what you need, and not waste money on things you already have established in your classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment