Monday, May 12, 2014

Special Olympics

Special Olympics is a very SPECIAL week to me.  And since we just wrapped up this year's Spring Games, I wanted to share with you a little bit about how much it means to me.

Throughout the entire week of events, my students are so happy that they can barely contain their excitement.  They get to see all their hard work pay off and have hundreds of people cheering for them.  They look so proud of themselves and the exude self confidence.  For so many of my kids, who struggle with so many things, Special Olympics is a place where they feel special and celebrated.  I love being a part of that.

The Special Olympics community is amazing as well.  All the other teachers and caregivers don't look at your kids funny when they scream, squeal, or throw a tantrum.  Everyone is helpful and kind, no matter what we are dealing with.  It is always nice to be in a place where everyone is on the same team, even when we are competing against one another!

We also feel extremely supported by our school during this week.  All the kids ask our students about how the Olympics went, admire our kids' medals, and this year, our student council even tie-dyed t-shirts for our kids!

Being a part of Special Olympics is a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it to watch my kids during these 4 days of competitions and ceremonies!  

No comments:

Post a Comment