Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Task Box Tuesday (Sorting by Class) and a FREEBIE

At my new job, I have been in the process of setting up a task box system for a couple weeks now.  In my old classroom, it was so easy because I was always hoarding collecting items to make up new task boxes.  In my new job, I did a little digging in a storage room full of unused toys, but struggled to find enough containers/items to create more than a couple new tasks.  

So...what to do?  Of course I took a massive trip to The Dollar Tree...and I now know the stock well enough in these stores, that when I can't find something I am looking for at one, I hop on over to the next.  Sure enough...2 Dollar Tree visits and $75 later, I have enough containers and materials to put together all of my task boxes!  I am still working on putting the finishing touches on everything and getting it ready for the kiddos/staff to use, but figured I could start by sharing one of my favorite task boxes I created and of course the FREEBIE for you to use to create this yourself.

I bought a $1 muffin tin at the dollar tree, then made the following labels (food, animals, plants, people, vehicle, and sports) and taped them into the bottom of each compartment of the muffin tin.  

Then I laminated pictures of items from each of these classes.  During the task, kids sort the pictures by class into the compartments of the muffin tin.  I like this task because it involves NO velcro, which makes it much easier and quicker to put together.

Click here to get the labels and pictures (all you need is the muffin tin) to create this task!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea for any kid learning categorizing. Thank you! Kathleen Costello

    ReplyDelete