Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Yes and No Activity

We have been working all year on getting one of my non-verbal students to indicate "yes" and "no" through nodding her head.  She is starting to approximate nods in the correct direction, but it is hard to tell the difference between the two and therefore to know if she is really understanding the concepts.

So, the other day, I came up with the quickest fix I should have thought of sooner.  I literally ripped a note card in half and wrote "yes" and "no" on the 2 cards.  We were working on these concepts while playing a letter recognition game.  I would ask the student, "Do you have the letter __?" and she would answer "Yes" or "No."  Then I would ask her the same question about her peer or myself, "Does Ms. Hailey have the letter ___?"  When given these simple little notecards, she was able to indicate a correct answer every single time.  Not that it isn't important to continue working on nodding her head, but this quick intervention, helped me ensure she was at least understanding the concept of "yes" and "no" as related to this activity!

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea! I have a student that struggles with appropriately using yes and no too! Isn't it funny how if we take a second to think we find the easiest method and it works and then you shoot yourself in the foot because you had tried being all crazy and multi-stepped before that? It makes you crazy these kiddos are so unpredictable but, it does make it a exciting new day everyday!

    ReplyDelete